Submariner [was "thousand-yard stare"]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 27 18:47:51 UTC 2010

"Squid" seems to postdate the appearance of the notorious giant squid in
_20,000 Leagues Under the Sea_ (1956).  But cf. _Treasure Island_ (1950):
"You blundering squid!" (That's pirate-to-pirate.)

Earliest in the relevant sense in HDAS: 1966.  I've never encountered in WW2
writings.

JL