hacker

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 29 01:59:52 UTC 2010

Isn't the "Hacker" below more likely someone who fouls repeatedly in
the basket-brawl game?  A "hack" is a foul committed by striking the
opponent's shooting arm during his act of shooting. And therefore no
connection with computers, telephone systems, or campus pranks.

Although I don't find this sense in the OED.  And OED has "hack, v.1,
in sports only for football.)

Joel

At 7/28/2010 07:56 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>The Tech, vol. 78:9. March 11, 1958
>Basket-Brawl Game Planned For Faculty Early This Spring. p. 6/1
>>Last year's game, won by the Science-Administration five, featured
>>such Tech notables as "Easy Uno" Ingard, Dean "White Bucks" Speer,
>>Nicholas "Iron Man" Grant, Dean William "Hacker" Holden, "Rocky
>>Stocky" Stockmayer, Mal "Waban Wrecker" Kispert, Joseph "Bonus Baby"
>>Synder, Charles "Killer" Miller, Rog "Prouncer" Prouty, and John "The
>>Stilt" Murphy. The officials included President Killian, Deans Rule
>>and Fassett, Dr. Stratton and Dean Thresher.

Joel