moola antedated to 1937

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 29 04:51:07 UTC 2010

For what little it may be worth in this context,
At 3821 Lindell Boulevard in Saint Louis is the _Moolah_ Temple of the
Ancient Arabic Order, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, which was completed
in _1912_.

I've never heard it claimed by anyone at any time that the name of
this magnificent edifice has anything to to with _moolah_ in the sense
of money. I'm simply throwing it in to muddy the waters. Given that
the Shriners of Saint Louis have always been a lily-white
organization, the fact that I personally don't know of any connection
means nothing. I leave it to others to ascertain whether there be any
connection between "Moolah" and "moolah."

-Wilson

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Stephen Goranson <goranson at duke.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Stephen Goranson <goranson at DUKE.EDU>
> Subject:      moola antedated to 1937
>
> OED and HDAS have moola(h) from 1939
>

> Sunday Morning Star, Wilmington Delaware [and other newspapers]- Google News Archive - Dec 19, 1937 p. 38 col. 4
>
> Best Bets Of The Week . by Mark Hellinger [1903  -1947,  syndicated columnist, producer, etc.]
> Odds And Ends In The Entertainment World:  When you click in Hollywood, the moola really rolls in. Just about a year ago Deanna Durbin was earning $150 a week. Today, while making "Mad About Music," she draws $2,500 weekly from the studio, earns a heavy sum from broadcasting and records, and is picking up in the neighborhood of $100.000 a year from fashion work. Nice work if you can get it...
>
> Stephen Goranson
> http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
>
> http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=3BEnAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pQIGAAAAIBAJ&pg=2812,5114669&dq=moola&hl=en

-Wilson