hacker

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 29 16:07:43 UTC 2010

While checking the OED entry for "hacker", I noticed that the
preceding entry was "hackee", which brought to mind various possible
senses for someone who is a target/victim/patient of the hacker
(Shaq, for example, although not exactly a helpless victim).  But in
fact the hackee is, we learn, 'a species of ground squirrel, the
Striped or Chipping Squirrel, or Chipmuck, of North America'.  I had
never before encountered "chipmuck" much less "hackee", but I stand
informed.  Next time I see a Tamias Lysteri nibbling away in the
garden, I'll be prepared.

LH