irregardless, 1876 (OED: 1912)

Fri Jul 30 03:59:56 UTC 2010

Ben Zimmer:
> I also drew on a point made several times on this list by Larry Horn
> about pleonastic negatives of the "unXless" variety ("undoubtless",
> "unhelpless") from the 16th-17th c. With "irregardless" attested to
> the late 18th c., the connection to those words makes a lot more sense
> (rather than simply positing a blend of "irrespective" and
> "regardless").

You were wonderful on the Leonard Lopate Show. Impressive performance!

Prominent author Jack London used "unregardless" in a 1917 edition of
"Michael, Brother of Jerry":

The old man did not touch the paddle, and he was unregardless of the
lofty-sided steamer as the canoe slipped down the length of it into
the darkness astern. He was too occupied in counting the wealth of
tobacco showered upon him.

http://london.sonoma.edu/Writings/Michael/
http://london.sonoma.edu/Writings/Michael/michael2.html

However, the word "unregardless" was changed to "unregardful" in a 1919 edition:

http://books.google.com/books?id=KVsdeSiB1pMC&q=unregardful#v=snippet&

Famed art critic John Ruskin employed "unregardless" in 1880:

… to find even in all that appears most trifling or contemptible,
fresh evidence of the constant working of the Divine power "for glory
and for beauty," and to teach it and proclaim it to the unthinking and
the unregardless …

http://books.google.com/books?id=bMlNAAAAYAAJ&q=unregardless#v=snippet&

Garson