plaidoyer [WAS: dialectology in linguistics]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jul 30 15:25:02 UTC 2010

At 7/30/2010 07:54 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Plaidoyer?  Impressive. (Research shows it's French for "plea.")

I envisioned a court clerk dressed in a Scottish tartan kilt, calling
the courtroom to order.*

Joel

* Just think of me as a final -r and -z dropper.  If you're finicky,
instead imagine the Scottish clerk reading a case document in the courtroom.