Antedating of "Been There, Done That" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Jul 30 20:04:34 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The _Queenslander_ [Brisbane] has "Men had been there, done the work,
and disappeared." From 22 Jan 1898

More on point:

Reggie Jackson "Charged Up Champion" LA Times 8/30/1975 p 6 col 1
(ProQuest Hist Newspapers)
"This is a man who has been there and done it and if you don't pay him
respect, he'll ruin you." [Reggie Jackson speaking about Joe Rudi;
excerpted from _Reggie:  A Season with a Superstar_ by Reggie Jackson
and Bill Libby, Chicago: Playboy Publishing, 1975.]

_Kingman [AZ] Daily Miner_ 10/25/1976 p. 5 col 7 (Google news archive)
"The there is the other main category -- the people I don't like enough
to spend 13 cents and the price of a card on.  The come in three
sub-groups and are labeled as (1) slim, (2) optimistic, and (3) "I've
been there and done that already." "

Behalf Of

------
> -
>
> I have previously pushed back the phrase "been there, done that" to
1982.
> Here is a 1979 citation from Google News Archive.  It is from an
Australian