Walking the cat

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 1 00:39:52 UTC 2010

At 8:30 PM -0400 5/31/10, George Thompson wrote:
>  >From David Carr's "Media Equation" column in Monday's NYTimes
>Business section (section B, p. 1 & 8, quoting p. 8, col. 1).
>
>. . . it is much less cost-intensive to build out a new brand than
>to try to walk back the cat on a legacy business.
>
>What does this mean?  I'm baffled, as is my cat Panurge.
>
>GAT
Apparently no cats are harmed in the practice, but consequences for
humans may be less sanguine.  Here's an entry from the Daily Kos blog
on the expression:  http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/5/21/7496/03568

There's also an eponymous book:
http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Back-Cat-Pamela-Ewen/dp/0805443444

LH