Walking the cat

Tue Jun 1 05:27:43 UTC 2010

Safire's Political Dictionary by William Safire

Definition: walking back the cat

 In diplomacy, retreating from a negotiating position; in intelligence
gathering, examining old analyses in light of new information.

Foreign Service officers use this diplomatic slang, which is similar
to the "down off the mountaintop" expression of labor leaders faced
with the need to reduce demands.  (See MOUNTAINTOP.) When President
Carter's chief armaments negotiator, Paul Warnke, was criticized for
making an unrevealed concession to the Soviets in strategic arms
limitation talks, columnists Rowland Evans and Robert Novak wrote in
1977: "The 600-kilometer mystery, therefore, raises suspicions that
Paul Warnke will begin 'walking back the cat' on the Carter SALT
package, unless checked by the President himself."

A second meaning, in spookspeak, emerged in an 1986 opinion piece in
the Chicago Tribune discussing the investigation into the troubling
past of Austrian and later UN leader Kurt Waldheim: "Intelligence
agencies are now 'walking back the cat'—reconstructing events and
decisions in light of Waldheim's Nazi past and who might have known
and made use of it."

(The above text may contain errors. Also, Safire's analysis may be
incorrect and/or incomplete.)

WordSpy website of Paul McFedries

Definition: walk the cat back

v. To attempt to understand the true nature of a situation by
reconstructing events chronologically from the present to the past.

(Sample citations given on webpage)

http://www.wordspy.com/words/walkthecatback.asp