Q: "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

Tue Jun 1 19:39:38 UTC 2010

Laurence Horn wrote:
> And in Nov. 2006 I mentioned recalling the existence of a poem that
> included both these lines, but being unable to locate said poem on
> the web.  This is still the case.

During my search I did locate a poem in a 1971 article. The poem does
not contain the exact line "Fruit flies like a banana", but it plays
with the default semantics of terms, and it does contain "fruit flies"
and "bananas". The date given for the poem is 1966:

# Time Flies Like an Arrow
# J. A. Barnes
# Man, New Series, Vol. 6, No. 4 (Dec., 1971), pp. 537-552
# Published by: Royal Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland
# Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/2799182

Now, thin fruit flies like thunderstorms,
And thin farm boys like farm girls narrow;
And tax firm men like fat tax forms –
But time flies like an arrow!

When tax forms tax all firm men's souls,
While farm girls slim their boyfriends' flanks;
That's when the murd'rous thunder rolls –
And thins the fruit flies ranks.

Like tossed bananas in the skies,
The thin fruit flies like common yarrow;
Then's the time to time the time flies –
Like the time flies like an arrow.
                                             (Schroeder 1966)

(Errors may have been introduced during retyping)

Garson

Below is a message from the ADS archive dated 2006 November 12