Paulescu etc.

ronbutters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 5 15:13:58 UTC 2010

From:   RonButters <ronbutters at AOL.COM>
Subject:    Re: AP: Spelling Bee protesters
Date:   June 5, 2010 10:11:43 AM EDT
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
I did not "put down" Paulescu et al. I did suggest that what TZ had reported to be their conclusions might need to be reconsidered in light of scientific considerations that they perhaps had not taken into account. That is the way science works: we continually challenge each other's work. "Brutish cynicism" indeed! Rather than answer to the issues, TZ merely indulges in invective.

I did "put down" TZ's hugely mistaken conclusion that Paulescu et al.'s work implies that the learning of English spelling is especially difficult. Interesting that he says nothing about THAT topic--instead diverting the discussion to a couple of red herrings.

There can be no more telling an indication of scientific amateurism than TZ's view that the difference between a scientist and a crackpot is the difference between who makes money from the enterprise and who does not. Science is not basketball.

A scientific amateur does not bother to read or report on the scientific record in carrying out her research (e.g., do we really need research on the number of phonemes in French? if so, what is better about my account?). When she does report on scientific studies, it is often not taken from the work itself but from so me press report; often the reporting is to lend support to of some obsession of the amateur or promotional scheme of the amateur. She fails to publish her work in peer-reviewed journals and books. She by-passes scientific training and research in formulating her opinions, depending instead on the receved "wisdom" of the culture as reported by Wise Granny, the hot guy she met in a bar, and/or the popular press. She believes that complex questions have simple answers. Above all, she has a mind that is closed to the possibility that she might be proven wrong about something, ignoring the fact that other scientists may see things that she does not.