further adventures of "ironic"

RonButters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 8 14:34:45 UTC 2010

One sense of IRONY is 'a situation in which things do not turn out as one of the participants would expect' (dramatic irony). I suppose the player did not expect that all of his homers would have been hit against the Tigers. The Tigers were probably even more surprised.

-----Original Message-----
From: George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
Date:         Mon, 7 Jun 2010 17:13:38
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] further adventures of "ironic"

It seems to me that "the standard meaning of *ironic*" these days, (unless you are in the company of English majors, which god forbid) is "marked by a slightly amusing trivial coincidence".  I hear on sports broadcasts "He's hit only 3 homeruns this season, and, ironically, they have all been against the Tigers."  The drift from that to whatever Tocco may have had in mind seems to me to be inevitable.

GAT

George A. Thompson