Grammar, Usage, Standards: Passe?

Tue Jun 8 20:32:58 UTC 2010

I can think of a British example, anyway, besides the usual language
mavens and style guides--a man named John Honey, who used to come to
sociolinguistic conference to debate with the participants and argued
not only for a "restoration" of strict prescriptive standards with
respect to syntax and morphology, but for English Received
Pronunciation as an intrinsically-superior accent ,which he believes
any part of Standard English is, i. e. it is NOT just a matter of the
dialect of the rich and powerful ruling.  We used to think of him as
a bit of a crank, but he at least did mount arguments.

Paul Johnston