Language Police flunk teachers from Estonia to Arizona

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 9 00:48:28 UTC 2010

If it was Massachusetts, the circumstances indeed would be quite
different. There is a test that Massachusetts euphemistically calls
"basic literacy"--or, at least, they called it once upon a time. The
test was a brain-child of John Silber long before the national
campaign to test the life out of teachers and students alike. There
was a period when teachers could gain a provisional license to teach
even though they failed the "basic literacy" test, but, at this point,
state has been disapproving of these for some time and not renewing
them. Teachers who used to have provisional licenses but could not get
them renewed and could not pass the test would be out of a job. It is
not limited to single teacher, although there is no way to find a
precise number of casualties.

VS-)