The magistrate said "Merry", the defendant said "Mary"

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Wed Jun 9 23:13:26 UTC 2010

David Wake wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       David Wake <dwake at STANFORDALUMNI.ORG>
> Subject:      Re: The magistrate said "Merry", the defendant said "Mary"
>
> Many Brits assume that "Maryland" is pronounced as though it were two
> words  "Mary Land", with successive SQUARE, happY and TRAP vowels
> (with the last syllable having secondary stress).  Since Brits have
> split Mary/marry/merry, this sounds very different from the actual
> pronunciation to be heard from Maryland natives.

Did Brits (and Americans who pronounce two or all of these differently)
split the sound, or did people who pronounce them all the same merge them?

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."