The magistrate said "Merry", the defendant said "Mary"

Thu Jun 10 06:03:07 UTC 2010

There are a few British accents which have the full Mary/merry/marry
merger, but not many--some types of Glaswegian might, since marry
(and carry, cf. the ubiquitous "kerry-oot" from the pub or chip shop)
has /E/, making marry=merry, and a specifically Glaswegian (&
Ulster) /er/:/Er/ merger under /E/, bringing Mary into the same set.
You probably get the merger in Ulster Scots too, and this might be a
good place to look for any "inherited" merger in American English.
I'm not sure if any Southern Appalachian dialects have the full
merger, but Upstate NY does (and transmitted it westward), and there
was a bunch of Scotch-Irish settlers there who are often overlooked
as sources for Inland Northern forms.

Cultivated British English in Revolutionary times was definitely
rhotic (shown in Sheridan and Walker), though not all vernaculars
were.  Besides the North of England (read central and western
Yorkshire and surrounding areas to the north and south;
Northumberland and Cumberland were probably rhotic), East Anglia
might have been non-rhotic by 1750, and maybe Cockney too.  So
Bostonians (where East Anglians settled) might have been non-rhotic
too, and maybe New Yorkers (Cockneys); not sure if anyone in the
South was, although I--anachronistically--think of Washington as a
Tidewater speaker, and therefore non-rhotic.  Probably totally wrong.

I remember seeing a movie, set in NY City in the Revolutionary War,
where an effort was made to get the characters to sound 18th century,
resulting in the local New York characters sounding like a strange
cross between Newfoundland and Brooklyn.  It sounded plausible to me,
though who knows how far off the mark it was.   Any American
pronunciation guides from the late 18th c. I've seen come from New
England (Fisher, Webster), and the models sound like old-fashioned
New England, as far as I can see, like the type of dialect James
Russell Lowell's Bigelow Papers poems represented in the 19c, if less
broad.

Didn't Franklin write a grammar and pronunciation guide, where he
agrees nearly exactly with his British contemporaries?

Paul Johnston