Language Police flunk teachers from Estonia to Arizona (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 11 06:37:48 UTC 2010

WGAF "WEE gaff" was used in Berlin at least as early as 1961 by EM in
the old Army Security Agency as the initials of a secret
pswaydo-order. Supposedly, the officers and NCO's thought that this
stood for "We Guard America's Freedom." In fact, it stood for "(Like)
We Give A Fuck" about the Army and its chickenshit. There was a secret
badge, made from wet Polaroids of the Statue of Liberty modified so
that she held up the finger instead of the Torch of Liberty, a secret
password, etc.

I doubt that the officers and NCO's had a clue about this. Hence, they
weren't tricked by any phony reading of the letters, etc. It was an
inside joke among the EM that was so trivial that higher headquarters
wouldn't have given a damn about it.

I doubt that even any EM regarded WGAF as anything but
tension-breaking silliness. Before The Wall went up, Berlin had been
an official, military vacation spot, like Berchtesgaden. Afterward,
things got tense.

-Wilson

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: Language Police flunk teachers from Estonia to Arizona
>              (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE