Awesome, Awful ... Awe-striking?

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 11 14:05:26 UTC 2010

I clicked on thefreedictionary.com to hear some words with the "awe" ~au phoneme in it.  That site has 3 vocalizations 1 USA, 2 UK, and 3 a speaker icon symbol next to the word.  Here's what I heard.

Awe

USA  ~aa  (with ~aa is as in "Saab")

UK   ~oe  (with ~oe as in "toe" but pushed back in the throat)

icon  ~au  (with ~au as in "auger" - via icon below)

Auger

USA  ~aager

UK   ~oegu  (with ~u as in "sub", no ~r)

icon  ~auger

Awesome

USA   ~aasum

UK     ~oesim   (with ~i as in "tip")

icon  ~ausoom  (with ~oo as in "wood)

Law

USA  ~laa

UK   ~loe'u  (like a diphthong, ~oe followed by ~u)

icon  ~lau

Small

USA  ~smaul

UK   ~smoel

icon  ~smaul

The ~au phoneme seems very unstable.  From this small sample one would think that "awe-to-ah" swapping were standard stuff in USA and "awe-to-oh" in the UK.  To me the icon says it best.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling