turn-about

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 11 18:58:47 UTC 2010

Sorry. I wasn't questioning anyone ele's analysis. I meant, "Why not?"
in the (once-?)widespread(? I reckon not) sense of, "I agree with you
completely." Probably would have helped, if you had heard it, instead
of merely reading it. Or maybe not.

Youneverknow.

-Wilson

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Benjamin Zimmer
<bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: turn-about
>
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I would agree with Mark that "man-izer" (which I also have from a New
>> Yorker cartoon over a decade ago, with the same telltale hyphen for
>> self-conscious coinage) is an analogical formation (rather than a
>> clip), as in "misandrist" based on "misogynist".
>
> The only New Yorker cartoon I can find is this one from 1991, without a hyphen:
>
> http://www.cartoonbank.com/1991/Shes-a-manizer/invt/110940
>
> The most recent issue has an unhyphenated example in a movie review by
> Anthony Lane, though with a rather different meaning:
>
> http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2010/06/07/100607crci_cinema_lane?currentPage=all
> "He and Douglas put their scenes together with no more ado than
> someone making a sandwich, and they leave us with the wry thought that
> the people the womanizer really loves—the ones he can live with, and
> die with—are guys. He’s a manizer, and he never even knew it."
>
> ...as noted in the comments on Mark Liberman's Language Log post:
>
> http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2367
>
> Commenters provide other cites back to 1981 (mostly unhyphenated).
> Josh Marshall has linked to the LL post, yet he still seems to think
> of it as "his" neologism:
>
> http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/06/will_manizer_neologism_catch_on.php
>

> --Ben Zimmer

-Wilson