The magistrate said "Merry", the defendant said "Mary"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 12 22:50:59 UTC 2010

If memory serves me right, Alexis de Tocqueville reported on American democracy in the colonies and was greatly impressed that one language, English, could be used over the great expanse of such a country.  Also, he was impressed by American ideals of equality.

Alexis de Tocqueville quotes:
Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.
http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quotes_by/alexis+de+tocqueville
So much for "registers".

"Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-59) came to America in 1831 to see what a great republic was like."

He apparently predicted the Civil War.
Alexis de Tocqueville quotes:
If there ever are great revolutions there, they will be caused by the presence of the blacks upon American soil. That is to say, it will not be the equality of social conditions but rather their inequality which may give rise thereto.

Alexis de Tocqueville quotes (False):
America is great because America is good. If America ever ceases to be good it will cease to be great.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling