Old Norse and Earlier English Pronunciation

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Jun 14 18:43:51 UTC 2010

Regarding Chaucer and Shakespeare, part of the difference in replicating
authentic pronunciation is undoubtedly in performance vs. reading.
Shakespeare, the plays at least, have a long tradition of performance to
large audiences. Not only are there many different actors, not intensely
trained in authentic pronunciation, who must deliver the lines, but there
are audience members who must understand the pronunciation without too much
difficulty. Reading, even aloud to small groups, is a very different setting
that is more conducive to replicating the original pronunciation.

It would be interesting to find out how medieval dramas, such as the Chester
cycle, are performed nowadays. Are medieval pronunciations insisted on? The
audience for these more obscure works is, of course, more select and more
likely to appreciate the finer points of authentic pronunciation (as far as
that can be determined,  of course) than that of Shakespeare. The long
tradition of Shakespearian performance may make those works exceptional.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Robin Hamilton
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 11:10 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Old Norse and Earlier English Pronunciation

I'd agree with Ron that this is entirely to the point of the list.  Amy has
raised lots of fascinating issues in her posts on this thread.

Picking up Ron's point about Wyatt, and Chaucer and the Gawain Poet, could
this be carried further?  Chaucer, read in a contemporary voice, is
intelligible, but the rhythms of his poems are completely lost; the Gawain
Poet (at least to me) is writing in what is virtually a foreign language;
but Langland, from exactly the same period, *can be read in a contemporary
voice without (too much) loss.

To which of these three writers would Old Norse correspond, for a
contemporary Icelandic speaker?

Robin

From: <ronbutters at AOL.COM>