-est x3

Mon Jun 14 23:07:26 UTC 2010

 Dan Goncharoff wrote

 Laurence Horn wrote:
> car = 'cart, wagon'?

I think the phrase does sound odd, perhaps because historically
"motor-car" was shortened to "car", and an earlier definition of "car"
was displaced. The OED has a first citation in 1382 for this earlier
definition of car (as Larry Horn suggests):
1. A wheeled vehicle or conveyance:

Maybe the quote is using definition 1.c.
c. spec. Applied locally and at special periods to various vehicles in
particular; also with defining words, as Irish car, etc.
1824-7 HONE  Every-day Bk. II. 240 The common Irish Car is used
throughout the province of Leinster..The Irish ‘jaunting car’ [is a]
wholly distinct and superior vehicle.

Here is another reference to "car-driving" in Dublin in the 1840s.

Cite: 1841 July, The Collegian: Conducted by the Students of the
University of Virginia, Something About Our Village, Page 297, Number
X, Volume III, Magruder & Noel, Charlottesville.

Every town has had its eulogist. Homer sang of Troy, Doctor Johnson of
London - many an Irish bard has recounted "the tay drinking, say
bathing, car-driving qualities of Dublin," and Miss Mitford has
twaddled about "our village;" but that was not "ours."

http://books.google.com/books?id=8NRKAAAAYAAJ&q=driving#v=snippet&

Garson