Old Norse and Earlier English Pronunciation

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Jun 16 13:31:57 UTC 2010

After posting, I emailed a colleague who specializes in medieval drama to
ask this very question. His response was that the usual practice for modern
performances is not only to use modern pronunciation, but to translate the
works into modern English as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Paul Johnston
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Old Norse and Earlier English Pronunciation

I once saw a production of a 15th century play by a company based in
Cambridge, England, who used, not 15th century pronunciations but
early 17th century ones--in fact, since it was a crowd of historical
linguists going out to this performance, which grammarian the company
used as the source--Wilkins, Hodges or Robinson? (We settled on
Hodges).  The result was intelligible--kind of SW English or Irish-
sounding, but you could make it out.
Since I'm analyzing the dialect of the York plays myself, I'd be very
interested in what pronunciation  model dramatists would use.  If
they really used a York pronunciation of say, 1475, since the final -
e's are gone and the Great Vowel Shift's early stages are completed,
the result would probably only be a bit less intelligible than our
early 17th Standard model, or real Shakespearean pronunciation.  The
Northern vocab might be a problem.

Paul Johnston