another euphemism

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 17 06:35:56 UTC 2010

I'm reminded of an old song from the late '50's or early '60's:
(That's) A Rockin' Good Way. Can't recall whether _That's_ was part of
the title or only part of the refrain. In my intuition, this is like

here's a rocking outfit

these lederhose[n] rock

... rocks more than mine

The other examples don't have the same feeling, seem like t' me.

-Wilson

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Ann Burlingham <ann at burlinghambooks.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Ann Burlingham <ann at BURLINGHAMBOOKS.COM>
> Subject:      Re: another euphemism
>
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Benjamin Zimmer
> <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
>> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
>> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: another euphemism
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM, victor steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> é„­lthough it seems clear that she's either going commando or rocking
>>> an itsy-bitsy thong."
>> [...]
>>> Having lived a sheltered life, I am also unfamiliar with this meaning
>>> of "rocking" (==sporting or is there more?).
>>
>> You'll want to check out the draft entry for "rock" (v.1) in the OED's
>> latest quarterly update, particularly sense 12.c.: "To wear, esp. with
>> panache; to display, flaunt, or sport (as a personally distinctive
>> style, accessory, possession, etc.)" (with cites back to 1987).
>
> I use it; I think of it as an extension of "you rock!"
>
> i used it caption a photo of a friend last year:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/35702024@N00/3879755745/
>
> here's a rocking outfit:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/katherineandpunky/3580670491/
>
> another flickr.com user notes that her dressed-up doll's "outfit rocks
> more than mine"
>
> these lederhose rock:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/da-anda/3994905579/
>
> and I see a website reporting "Miley Cyrus Rocking A Lady Gaga Inspired Outfit"

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain