how to classify?

Rick Barr rickbarremail at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 18 12:48:54 UTC 2010

Curiously, I found three literalized metaphors, much like the second example
you quoted, in a recent story by Cheston Knapp, managing editor of *Tin
House* magazine. The story is called "A Minor Momentousness in the History
of Love" (*One Story*, March 30, 2010). Here are the quotes, the first of
which is the clearest example of this device:

"And then reason flew out the window, the same window I shattered with my
fist, her car's rear driver's side window" (7).
"The counselors say when you hit a wall, don't let your rage dictate that
you punch or head-butt your way *through* the wall, but be calm and calmly
ask yourself is it possible there's a way *around* this wall" (9).
"The clouds have gathered like a pyramid-scheme into a solitary steel-wool
mass above us" (9).

That doesn't answer your question, though. I have been calling these devices
literalized metaphors, but I am unaware if a more technical, rhetorical name
exists, along the lines of aposiopesis or paralipsis. It would be great if
someone could come up with it.

-- Rick