Proverbial Parachutes (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 18 15:07:00 UTC 2010

At 9:52 AM -0500 6/18/10, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
>Dance with the girl what brung you.

Not quite the same, since that one implies sticking with what works
whether out of loyalty or a desire for security (even when a possibly
more attractive but potentially risky option is available), while
playing the hand you're dealt implies being forced to go (or make do)
with the only option you have.  A subtle difference, but I think a
real one.

For those who follow basketball, last night in the Boston Celtics'
losing effort in the championship game against the Lakers, their
coach Doc Rivers had to *play the hand he was dealt* (thus having to
eschew the services of his injured starting center Kendrick Perkins)
but he also chose to *dance with the girl what brung him* (thus
leaving his tiring starters on the court to play too many minutes
rather than risk calling on his bench players).

LH