"blergh" (and "argh")

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 18 15:41:41 UTC 2010

Garson notes that in _Treasure Island_
>Long John Silver does say "Ah" many times. [...]
>
> Maybe some pirate speech is rooted in early movies or plays. How much
> of the evolution of pirate diction and manner is based on actors
> observing previous performances?

And on scripts or stories written by R-less speakers, who might have used
"ar" where Stevenson (a Scot) used "ah"? Compare Kipling's pronunciations of
names in The Jungle Books, including such Yankee-bafflers as

* TABAQUI (1 p. 4) the Jackal, is pronounced Tabarky. I think I made up this
name myself (accent on bar).
* BALOO (p. 20) is Hindustani for `Bear'. Pronounced Bar-loo (accent on
Bar).
* KAA (1 p. 43) is pronounced Kar. A made-up name, from the queer
open-mouthed hiss of a big snake.
- http://www.kipling.org.uk/rg_junglebook_names.htm

m a m

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Garson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dan Goncharoff wrote
> > I want to say Treasure Island, because it is the source of almost
> > everything Pirate, but there is no "argh" in Stevenson's immortal work,
> > just a lot of indeterminate oaths.
>
> I think that is a natural place to look because of the depiction of
> pirates in latter–day adaptions of the work. This 1990 cite is late,
> but it does provide an example of the speech expected from movie
> pirates in Treasure Island, including "argh":
>
> Cite: 1990 January 22, Chicago Tribune, Heston's 'Treasure Island' is
> a Wild  Adventure by Rick Kogan, TV/radio critic, Page 3, Chicago,
> Illinois.
>
> Virtually every man in "Treasure Island" speaks as if he were
> attempting to dislodge a shovelful of gravel from his throat, which is
> just the way we want our pirates, when we can get them, to talk.
> It's no wonder that shortly before making his escape with a sack of
> dubloons, and a yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum, Silver says to young
> Jim, "Argh, what a team we might have made."
>
> The term "argh" does not appear in the book Treasure Island as Dan
> Goncharoff notes. Long John Silver does say "Ah" many times. He also
> uses other characteristic terms: "matey" and "swabs":
>
> "Ah! Black Dog," says he. "HE'S a bad un; but there's worse that put him
on."
> "Ah, he looked a shark, he did!"
> "Ah, she's a handsome craft, she is"
> "Ah, they was a sweet crew, they was!"
> "And now you see, mate, I'm pretty low, and deserted by all; and Jim,
> you'll bring me one noggin of rum, now, won't you, matey?"
> "Doctors is all swabs"
>
> Maybe some pirate speech is rooted in early movies or plays. How much
> of the evolution of pirate diction and manner is based on actors
> observing previous performances?
>
> Garson
>
> Charles Doyle wrote:
> >> I just read an e-mail from a former student (mid-twentyish) in which
she used the interjection "blergh!"--which was new to me.

> >> _Urban Dictionary_ registers the word, one of the (three) contributors
offering an etymology: "a combination of the words: blah, argh, and ugh."
 (How would "ugh" figure in the blend? Perhaps explaining the vowel?)

> >> When, I wonder, (and how) did "argh" become the ubiquitously-recognized
staple of Pirate-speak?  The OED records the interjection "argh" (the "-r-"
is optional, depending on the rhoticism of the dialect, I suppose), but the
entry says nothing about pirates. Have we discussed maricanine "argh"?