"Hispanic" in the U.S.

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 19 17:50:34 UTC 2010

You might want to check the Census definition, but I have never heard
(1) used anywhere. And (2) is too restrictive, as LH points out. Also
Hispanic is one of the few categories that may be superimposed on
another category, e.g., one may fit into both Hispanic and African
American categories. Also, many government forms have some interesting
combinations, such as "Hispanic and NOT Hatian Creole", implying that
Hatians--who are, of course, not Spanish speakers, are also considered
Hispanic. Not sure about other Caribbeans, such as Barbados or
Trinidad (although NOT Jamaicans). On the Census, Caribbean is a
separate category, I believe. Also, it's not clear whether Filipinos
are considered Hispanic or not. It may differ from one categorization
to the next. Eventually, the Census is what determines these things
for others, but if the census categories change from one year to the
next, others may take some time to catch up.

VS-)