From the Travelers Recond April 1889

Mon Jun 21 21:55:51 UTC 2010

And soon enough, jokes started circulating about how v[ahz]es were
more expensive than v[eys]es...

-----
(Frederick, Md.) News, Jan. 6, 1894, p. 4
>From the New York Sun.
The later authorities in words have come to the rescue of the public. They
say that a straightforward English pronunciation of the word vase is
sufficient and desirable. In such a case it rhymes with case or base. In
certain circles the object becomes a vaze: if it is a peachblow it is a
vahze; and if it is in Boston it is a vawz. The new dictionary makers have
smashed one annoying affectation of language.
-----
Stevens Point (Wisc.) Daily Journal, Aug. 21, 1907, p. 3
Somebody says that the difference between a vase and a "vahze" is that the
latter costs more than $2.50. But a "vahze" that costs five dollars or six
dollars is now called an amphora, and both the vahze and the amphora were
never intended for use but to be placed on stands or in niches, as
evidence that their owner has money to burn.
-----

For more, see here:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0503B&L=ADS-L&P=R11887