rectangle vs. square

Sat Jun 26 23:32:46 UTC 2010

Here is another example. Formally every circle is also an ellipse. The
set of all circles is a subset of the set of all ellipses. But the
informal use of these terms is different, e.g.:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_circle_and_a_ellipse

What is the difference between a circle and a ellipse?
Basically a circle has a constant radius throughout and an ellipse does not.

This informal use suggests that a circle is not an ellipse.
Garson