rectangle vs. square

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 27 03:18:29 UTC 2010

I should also add that I /always/ think of a square as a rectangle
first (experiential preference over thinking of it as a rhombus).
Other properties come in later. So, I guess, in my language a square
is always a rectangle, unless it refers to a metropolitan location.

As for Venn diagrams, aside from the general categories, intersections
are usually more important for study than periphery, which is why we
look at squares, circles, etc., more closely than we look at
"diamonds", "kites", "rhomboids", etc.

Mathematically, everything you say about a generic rectangle is also
true about a generic square (although the reverse is not true).
Claiming sides not to be equal is not generic.

VS-)