rectangle vs. square

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 28 01:38:29 UTC 2010

At 6:32 PM -0400 6/27/10, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>I disagree with Larry Horn's example. I remember the phrase as, "It's
>not *just* a car, it's a Volkswagen." Doesn't help.
>
>DanG

see, inter alia,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=130616
http://cgi.ebay.com/Volkswagen-Hat-Pin-ITS-NOT-CAR-ITS-VOLKSWAGEN-/220626614580
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gagc/3904248374/
     (including the version "No es un coche... Es un Volkswagen")

Googling "It's not a car it's a Volkswagen" brings in well over a
hundred additional hits of a similar kind.  The "promotional embossed
plate" in the first of these hits should be pretty conclusive.

LH