? antedating ? of Rowdy?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Jun 28 13:25:12 UTC 2010

> header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: ? antedating ? of Rowdy?
>
> That's my guess.
>
> JL

My reading of the facsimile image on the page would be:  "Bawdy houses"
(Upper case 'B' in Word1, and lowercase 'h' and medial long 's' in Word2.)

(Oddly, the bit I looked at seems, in the original MS, to consistently spell
"for" as "ffor" [transcribed, in the excerpt below, as 'F'].  I'd thought
that was mostly found in pre-modern Scots.  Is there a paleographer in the
house?)

Robin