morning coats (was Re: Three pairs of pronunciation)

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Jun 29 04:20:39 UTC 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:28:54AM -0700, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>>
>> on the other hand, the item of men's formal apparel (part of
>> the "white tie (and tails)" kit, with cutaway jacket and
>> tails) is correctly labeled "morning coat" [...]
>
> Forgive me for being pedantic about your parenthetical, but a
> "morning coat" is indeed distinguished by a cutaway and tails
> (with the front of the coat tapering gradually back to the
> tails), but it is not worn with white tie...

i bow to your much greater knowledge in these things.

there do seem to be some instances of "mourning coat" for "morning coat".  tedious to check for, since some instances of "mourning coat" are in fact for black coats worn in mourning.

arnold