Antedating of _doo(-)wop_

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 1 08:53:32 UTC 2010

About "doo wop" wikipedia has:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doo-wop

"In the beginning and during its heyday, this type of music did not have a specific name; the term "doo-wop" was not used.
In the 1950s, this type of harmonized group sound was referred to (broadly) as "rock and roll," but more narrowly as "R&B." However, R&B was still too general a term, since R&B included single artists, instrumentalists, and jump blues bands, as well as vocal groups. At the time, the best and most accurate term used was probably "vocal group harmony," but the style still did not have an official name, despite the fact that it dominated the charts in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The term "doo-wop" first appeared in print in 1961, notably in the Chicago Defender, when fans of the music coined the term during the height of a vocal harmony resurgence.[citation needed]
There is confusion regarding which recording was the "first" to contain the phrase "doo-wop." There is general acknowledgement that the first hit record to use the syllables "doo-wop" in the refrain was the 1955 hit, "When You Dance" by The Turbans (Herald Records H-458), in which the chant "doo-wop" can clearly be heard.[2]"

>From my own recollection I'm trying to remember background lyrics that include "doo wap" or "doo wop" in them.  To me it sounds like "doo wop" in Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers original "Why do fools fall in love".  Though the lyric sheets say "oh wah, oh wah, oh wah, oh wah, oh wah, oh wah"
http://www.lyricsdownload.com/frankie-lymon-why-do-fools-fall-in-love-lyrics.html

"The single was released in January 1956 to avoid the Christmas rush. The group was not notified that it was released - they found out when a group member heard a classmate singing it at school."  Frankie Lymon was 13 and filled in for the lead singer who was sick at the time.
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2033

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469228/direct/01/