*tsunamus

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 1 09:28:02 UTC 2010

Victor,  When you say "tidal wave" we old folks would not be thinking "the high high water wave caused by the movement of the tide" as per the definition you've found.  It doesn't even make sense saying that the last wave of high tide is the tidal wave.  I've never heard the term used like that.

Now I'm wondering what the term "tidal wave" means if anything.  Wikipedia has"

"The term tidal wave may refer to:
A tidal bore, which is a large movement of water formed by the funneling of the incoming tide into a river or narrow bay
A tidal surge, or storm surge, which can cause waves that breach flood defences
A tsunami, which is a surge in the tide caused by a seismic event, as opposed to the regular tides caused by gravitational gradients. The term tsunami is conventional in scientific writing. "

Looks like the term is becoming obsolete because there are other terms for what it was used for - tidal bore, storm surge, and tsunami.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469227/direct/01/