"fork *up*" (July 1837), and other slang

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 1 17:36:20 UTC 2010

No. Because the dictionaries and thesauruses you use (I assume) are the
carefully edited kind that don't include ghost words, irresponsible
definitions, and all sorts of other errors. Furthermore, they assure you
(generally on the basis of evidence) that unless so noted, the words you're
using are not obsolete, archaic, or ultra-rare.

The phony use that Robin refers to is that of picking bizarre words from
crummily edited cant dictionaries (which are in no small part plagiarized
from earlier ones) and repeating them, sometimes with distortions, and often
with the imputation that they're current and used by everybody, or at least
everybody in the red-light district.

Here's a fabulous, unnoticed ex. In 2001 the A&E Network presented an
otherwise competent docudrama called _The Lost Battalion_, concerning a
(once) famous incident during the Meuse-Argonne offensive of 1918.  The
writer, James Carabatsos, had apparently gotten his hands on a copy of
Matsell or perhaps the _Slang Dictionary of New York, London, and Paris_
and, in an access of misinspiration,  has one of his "Bowery boy" characters
(in the Leo Gorcey sense)  spouting terms like "Daisyville' in the U.S. army
in 1918.  My flesh crawled more than most.

Judith Robertson has addressed cant plagiarizing in a 2004 article here:

http://mail.google.com/mail/#inbox/12717a946757a6ee

and Julie Coleman inescapably devotes much of her _History of Cant and Slang
Dictionaries_ on the subject.

JL