Antedating of _doo(-)wop_

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Mar 2 05:24:17 UTC 2010

To my ear, Wilson, the syllables sung by the Dominoes at the end of
"The Bells" sound a lot more like "oo-wah" than "doo-wop," at least in
the version on the greatest hits album; see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or8Pp1NA5JA

But if it's primordial oo-wah's we're after, McPhatter & Co. were
scooped by the Four Lads singing backup on ("Mr. Emotion") Johnny
Ray's "Cry," which was released in 1951.

Geoff