language at the Health Care Summit

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 2 19:06:46 UTC 2010

33 hits (46 raw) in /current/ Google News (between now and Feb 4).
Some good ones:

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20100214/COLUMNIST05/2140302/1006/OPINION

http://www.dailytech.com/Toyota+Announces+Global+Recall+of+Prius+Lexus+HS+250h+Hybrids+Over+ABS+Software/article17639.htm

http://spectator.org/archives/2010/02/26/goodbye-charlie

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2621645020100228?type=marketsNews
> "Honest services is on its last legs," said Brian Wice, a Houston appellate lawyer. "It is circling the drain as a theory of prosecution until they manage to remedy the multiple defects they find with it."

Even adjectival use:

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyloaf/2010/02/04/movie-review-crazy-heart-starring-jeff-bridges-and-maggie-gyllenhaal/
> You have to give it up for Jeff Bridges, who delivers a fearless performance as *circling-the-drain country singer* Bad Blake in Crazy Heart. The actor sacrifices all vanity in his portrayal, raising the bar of disgust with each passing scene.

And, of course, a snowclone "The sound of X Ying":

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/palm-doomed-let-good-byes-begin-965
> That sound you've been hearing -- that soft "swooshing" in the distance -- isn't anything important. It's just the sound of Palm circling the drain.

In fact, in the last three weeks, there have been multiple references
to Toyota and Palm "circling the drain" (from unrelated sources), the
health-care reform and the health-care system itself circling the
drain, and even two reviews of the same Jeff Bridges character as
"circl[ing]-the-drain country singer" (the latter perhaps
plagiarized).

VS-)