subversive, adj.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 2 22:51:52 UTC 2010

An "early" example: "critical of convention or complacency."

1963 Albert J. Guerard _Hardy_ (Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice -Hall) 1: A
subsversive writer without intending to be one, he was honored at the end by
the Establishment, with burial in Westminster Abbey and the Prime  Minister
as a pallbearer.

Thomas Hardy, "subversive."  "Without intending" it.  See what I mean?

JL