died and gone to heaven

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Fri Mar 5 15:23:34 UTC 2010

> The place has changed.
>
> JL

But the best conversations take place in Hell -- I have this on good
authority.

Robin

(I was going to quote a four line quatrain on Abraham and MaryAnne, that I
vaguely remembered, but a fast google threw up what might be a fore-cite
(1926 if you believe the transcript):

"
I cannot say I find that a very satisfactory position, and I am bound to say
I feel rather like that famous gentleman who, passing by a churchyard and
seeing on a tombstone the inscription that Mary Ann Smith had gone from this
world to rest on Abraham's bosom, said, "It's all very well for Mary Ann,
but it's mighty hard on Abraham."
"
        http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1926/feb/03/debate-on-the-address

What I was misremembering occurs in (I think) _The Penguin Book of More
Comic and Curious Verse_, but this doesn't seem to be online, and as I'm
currently severely jetlagged, I can't be arsed to chase it down.

For what it's (not much) worth ...

R.