The bird

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Sat Mar 6 16:57:48 UTC 2010

From: "Victor Steinbok" <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>

>> As HDAS notes, _Funk&  Wagnall's Standard Dictionary_ of 1890-93
>> amazingly
>> includes the phrase "give someone the finger," somewhat lamely defined,
>> and
>> with no apparent suggestion of obscenity.

I've always heard this as giving someone the finger (with a sub-vocalised
translation as, "Up yours, Jack.")

Whether this is a Brit/USA distinction, or just my idiolect, deponent
stateth not.

???

give someone the finger
tip someone the finger
tip someone the bird
flip the bird

Possible evolution?

Also (body language) does it tie in with placing the thumb beneath the nose
and wiggling the remaining four fingers?

{Or with the thumb beneath the nose, bending three down, and leaving the
forefinger upright?}

[And does this code differently from a non-finger-waved gesture?]

Shakespeare, _R&J_, Question: "Dost thou bite your thumb at me?" -- Answer:
"Nay [no?], but I bite my thumb."

Ecco carnute (if Wilson will forgive my mangled Latin/Italian) -- do all
these terms and gestures ultimately derive from the Italian?

Robin