The bird

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 6 18:30:44 UTC 2010

Aside from the fact that the quoted comment was in a nested message
from Jon Lighter (not mine), here's a list of what I've observed
directly. One or more of these might have come from ESL/immigrants, so
take the list with a large grain of salt. I have not attempted to look
for any of these (except, unsuccessfully, for "shoot the bird"), so I
am not listing any sources. As I said, these are personal
observations, not research.

flip the bird/finger
shoot the bird (not sure of exact use, but I've heard it in
future/conditional context, in addition to historical attestations, as
in, "X will tell Y what to do with his mother, Y will shoot the bird,
and that's that.")
flick the bird
wave/stick the finger
flash the bird/finger/hand-puppet
show the finger/finger-puppet/hand-puppet
drop a bird [on]
drop the log
stick [up] the finger

The puppet ones struck me as unusual, at the time, which is why I remember them.

I am not suggesting that all of these are widespread and many may well
be narrow or isolated cases. I'm just reporting what I heard.

VS-)