"liberty tree", 1765, 1766 (antedating 1776)

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Sat Mar 6 21:08:59 UTC 2010

> Did "bourgeoisie" used to denote a member of the class rather than
> (or in addition to) the class itself?  Now it would have to be the
> last bourgeois who was strung up.
>
> LH
>
>>is strung up from a lamp post by the guts to the
>>last capitalist." -- how's *that for a liberty tree, jimmy?)

You're asking me to read Debord's mind, and all the sources I have say that
only god reads minds.

OTOH, I was a fully paid-up member of the "It's all down to the Rom" school
of cant linguistics, mostly propounrded by Guy Debord's widow, Alice
Becker-Ho, via Hotton  in the UK, till I happened on the Winchester
Confessions  of 1612.

Sometimes it's a bugger to know too much.

At the last Alderburgh festival, listening to David Morley read his poems
(which were truly excellent) I thought I was going crazy till I managed to
work out that he was drawing on fully inflected Romany based on the speech
of Hungarian gypsies, rather than the Anglo-Romany that I was more familiar
with.

Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar, Dr. Freud.

Robni