Pamela in 1842

Sun Mar 7 05:28:02 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Robin Hamilton
<robin.hamilton2 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Pamela in 1842
>
>> My bad in not extracting "Pamela" from the other six lines of the title
>> page.
>>
>> Joel
>
> Oh well, not to feel *too bad -- I never did manage to finish _Clarissa_
> either.
>
> (That was partly because half-way -- no, I exaggerate, about fifty pages
> in -- I finally found a copy of _The Drapier's Letters_ in a second hand
> bookshop in Cromer.  Now your man Swift, he wrote like an angel, and
> Richardson's prose simply wilted beside it.)
>
> Robin

FYI: Google Books does contain an earlier edition of Pamela dated 1742
with a Bodleian Library gift bookplate. The date inscription
M.DCC.XLII is given on the title page of volume three which contains
the phrase "Boughs of the Tree of Liberty". There is an OCR error so
that the 1742 edition does not match the search term "tree of
liberty". Here is a link to the passage:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ot4NAAAAQAAJ&q=Boughs#v=snippet&q=Boughs&f=false