crazy/insane gradation (UNCLASSIFIED)

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 9 21:44:48 UTC 2010

The expression as you describe it used to be prevalent in New England,
particularly in the Boston area, which allowed SNL to mock it with
Adam Sandler repeatedly interjecting "Wik't Pissuh!" in several
sketches. I've lived mostly in the Boston area since 1983 (and and
off--spending 1-2 years in other parts of the country for several
stretches), and have heard "wicked" repeatedly (as in, "He's wick'd
sma:t"), but have not heard "wicked pisser" until 1995 (which was
after SNL). When I did live in other parts of the country AFTER 1995,
"wicked" was used by all ages <45, but I still suspect that New
England use is more prevalent.

There is also a difference between "It's wicked" and "It's wicked
good"--different degrees of the same thing (good being the lower
grade).

VS-)