caught in the wild--random finds

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 10 04:24:57 UTC 2010

comments interspersed below

On 3/9/2010 3:37 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
> If it's all right to say simply, "X is fraught," period, why bother
> with the others?

Well, you're free to do that at your own risk. I, for one, will not stop
you. Just remember that your action is fraught.
> "Wrought" in place of "fraught"? I've never seen that one before. With
> luck, I'll never see it again.

I know more than a handful of people who regularly use it. The ratios
vary enough to suggest it's not just a random event.
> Glamazon? It's been around since at least WWII, in the days before
> thin became in.
This time, however, the target is a Brazilian model, which suggests that
the use here was deliberate in a different way.
> And wasn't it the translator who turned whatever
> Portuguese word that Mrs. Brady wrote into English "witnessing"?

And why does it matter /who/ came up with it?
> I'm dealing with yet another migraine headache, so I cop to the
> possibility that I may have entirely missed the point of the post. In
> that case, please accept my apaologies.

"Apaologies" must be some kind of Portugese/Brazilian blend prompted by
Mrs. Brady's presence.

     VS-)