Modern Proverb: Sacred cows make the best hamburger (antedating attrib Aardvark magazine 1965)

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Thu Mar 11 14:37:17 UTC 2010

Garson O'Toole wrote (much snipped):

> Citation: 1969 August 29, Lowell Sun, Graffiti lives and has since
> Rome was built, Page 26, Column 1, Lowell, Massachusetts.
> (NewspaperArchive)
>
> The best humorous graffiti take a droll look at modern society and its
> hang-ups. An urban pessimist wrote "Chicken Little was right" on a
> pillar of a New York subway, for example. "Sacred cows make great
> hamburger" is not only a prime slice of wall-writing, it's a kind of
> manifesto of graffiti-dom.

Tangential to the main subject, but the reference to "Chicken Little was right"
as a graffito in a 1969 citation amuses me, given that the Turtles had released
a song by that title in 1967. (Granted, it was a B-side....)

Jim Parish