"Restaurant" (re message from Barry Popik)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 13 15:54:15 UTC 2010

I'm confused as to why Joel Berson and the OED cite this from the New-York Evening Post, July 6, 1821.  When I search America's Historical Newspapers, I see the same advertisement not showing up from the New-York Evening Post for 6 July, but showing up in six earlier issues of that newspaper, beginning with 25 June, page 3.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Benjamin Zimmer [bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:03 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "Restaurant" (re message from Barry Popik)

>From John Simpson's note on the latest OED quarterly update:

---
http://dictionary.oed.com/news/updates/revisions1003.html
The final stages of work on _restaurant_ witnessed a string of
surprises. First, the earliest use moved back from 1826 (a description
of the Haymarket in London) to 1823 (the Morning Chronicle of 7 July,
noting a new eating house in Paris). As we neared the date set for
transferring the data to the dictionary's web site, an earlier
quotation from 1821 was submitted – this time from New York (the
Evening Post for 6 July). But by now it seemed that the earliest
references, clustered around 1821 and 1823, were for the spelling
_restaurat_. At the last moment, there was a suggestion of a proposed
1766 quotation from Boswell's journal of his ‘Grand Tour’ on the
continent, for ‘restaurant-keeper’. That would have upset the
applecart. I'm grateful to John Overholt of the Houghton Library at
Harvard, who checked the original manuscript and found that Boswell
uses the word ‘traiteur’, which was helpfully anglicized by Boswell's
editor in 1955. After the data was transferred to the web site, a
further 1821 predating (from England, this time, has come to light:
spelling _restaurat_; in a description of Paris). We'll have to wait
for July for that to go online. We can't stop the presses every time a
new discovery is made!
---