OT: The first restaurat sign

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 14 14:39:56 UTC 2010

I was wondering about this one, as the inscription is NOT in English.
And the corresponding dictionary entries 1764/1768 exist for
restaurant == restorative, but not for restaurat.

There is also a collection of old menus that pops up under
"restaurateur", but all the menu are, technically, in French, and they
are quoted in the text /verbatim/. It's great for the context (and for
an interest in food history), but is it really antedating for a
dictionary entry?